Friday, October 26, 2012

How to pack for a trip

With my upcoming trip back to Vancouver for the holidays, I have to be sure I pack strategically.  With the abundance of great shops and boutiques, I'll need to bring only the necessities.   Also, since it’s Christmas, I know about 80% of my suitcase will be filled with clothes and toys for my little munchkin. I definitely need to make sure there’s some room for mommy’s stuff too – clothes, shoes, spices, and the latest kitchen gadgets.

This will be my first plane trip alone with Baby C and without the help of the Hubby around (to pawn the little bugger off when I need some me time); I have to make sure I bring lots of things to keep him busy!  IPAD - check, books - check, toys - check, monkey binky - check, sleeping pills – ok maybe not, but I can dream right?  Did I also mention that a flight from Cayman to Vancouver is about 9 hours with about 4 hours of layover…and that’s a direct flight!  ***sigh***.  It’ll be all worth it when I get to see my family and friends, enjoy all the great food spots Vancouver has to offer and shop at my favourite stores...

Anyways, if you're like me, you typically spend days trying to figure out what to pack and without fail, always seem to over pack!

I always dread the day before any trip.  Why is it that you always feel like you’re forgetting something? Then when you get to the airport - it's when the fun (frustration) begins.  You have to go through every single security check point with a purse, diaper bag (filled with liquids – milk, juices, lotion, and diaper cream – all the stuff the security screener loves to question).  You have to carrying all this while pushing a stroller and managing a whiny, restless toddler, can we say nightmare?  On top of that, you have this impatient person behind you, staring you down as if you’re an idiot. Well… “I’m sorry but maybe you can lend a freakin hand?”  Ok, you can tell I’m not really looking forward to travelling with Baby C all by myself.  I envy those moms who do it so seamlessly.  Their babies and toddlers are happy, smiling and jogging along with them through the airport (reminding me of the Mary Poppins movie).

Also, why is it that every time you come back from holidays and your suitcase is always bursting at the seams, even when I didn't buy anything?  I'm praying quitely to myself that the ticket guy or girl is in a good mood and will overlook that we are 5 extra pounds over the limit!

Anyways, after lots of trial and error, I think I finally have a handle on this packing thing.

Here are some tips on packing which helped me save time and space.

-          Make a checklist (I love lists….)
   
-          Lay your clothes out by outfits  (i.e. Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 - this ensures that you have all your outfits planned out and avoids the "what to am I going to wear" situation.)

-          Pack items that are double duty like yoga pants that moonlight as PJ’s. a sarang can double as a wrap.

-          Roll your clothes.  Tightly roll softer, wrinkle-resistant garments, like T-shirts, cotton pants, jeans and place them along the base of the bag. 

-          Place folded items on top.  Next, fold stiffer and/or wrinkle-prone garments like starched cotton shirts and blazers.  Layer these folder items over the rolled clothes.

-          Drape longer pieces like pants and skirts.  Fold longer items in half, filling the length of the bag with them, alternating waists and hems at the ends.  Pick the bulker items to wear on the plane so they don’t take up precious luggage space.

-          Look for nooks and crannies to fill with smaller items like bras and socks, Stuff the cups of your bras with rolled up socks to maintain bra shape.

-          Snake belts around the perimeter of the bag.  Then cover the whole pile with a dry-cleaning bag. Thanks to the bags slippery surface, folded clothes won’t stay in one place long enough for creases to set.

-          Pick three pairs of shoes (I know it can be hard, but trust me saves you sooo much in weight).  Choose a casual sandal (depending on the weather), loafer or ballet flat are my favourites, running shoes and an evening shoe – go for styles that can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.  Wear the heaviest pair en route and pack the others along the sides of your suitcase in resealable bags.

-          Stow inexpensive jewellery in a seven day plastic pillbox or a small container.  Wear any fine jewellery en route to ensure it won’t get lost or stolen. 

So that's it!  Simple..I don't know why I spent sooo many years being frustrated and overwhelmed with packing?

Also I just love this look, simple and most importantly comfortable!  I think I will be wearing something like this en route.

No comments:

Post a Comment